Tuesday, December 25, 2012

2012 Part 1: Big Plans, Little Achievements

First of all, I'd like to acknowledge the hilarity of my last post here being about downloading the Blogger app for Android, then having a blogging hiatus for more than a year. You know what, I'll just leave that post there for the lulz.

I'd like to say I've been super busy these past twelve months and so didn't have time to blog, but that would mostly be a lie. The real reason is that I've been in an almost constant state of depression this whole year. I started 2012 with such high hopes and a number of big plans, but then it all went to shit very early on, and I never quite recovered since.



I began 2012 planning to find an apartment so I could start living on my own. After being convinced by a really determined salesperson one day, I ended up purchasing a condominium unit that I was promised would be completed by now. It looked like a pretty sweet deal. The unit was fully furnished, the building had a gym, a pool, and a mall. It was located along EDSA and was even connected to the MRT. Turns out, I won't be seeing the inside of my unit until (maybe) some time next September, because of all the delays in construction. And I've been paying for it monthly for almost a year now.

I also had plans to learn how to drive so that I could be one of the "cool kids", and now the year is about to end with me only knowing how to drive automatic, with our newly-bought second-hand KIA already scratched in various places, and with my confidence still at around beginner level. Who knew that poor eyesight, poor memory, clumsiness, and nervousness are bad for driving, eh? ;-)

I thought I could at least start conversing in very basic Japanese after self-studying for a year. Frankly, I still can't, because I've spent most of the year memorizing basic kanji and their multiple readings, almost neglecting the grammar side of things (except for basic particles and conjugations). A colleague of mine who hasn't even learned hiragana yet but who practices forming Japanese sentences daily (in frickin romaji) could probably survive being alone in Tokyo far longer than I would. And the JLPT N5 I took a few weeks ago? I fully expect to receive the results in a small envelope by March (those who passed would get a large envelope containing their certificate).

Finally, and perhaps what may be the greatest contributor to my depression, I began thinking about getting in a serious relationship for the first time in my life, and had my heart crushed repeatedly over the course of several months. No, I will not elaborate on that. Suffice to say that I am now moving to another company just because of a frickin girl, and that I will never believe in stupid things like serendipity and fairy tale endings, ever again.

***

Well, there was one big plan that sort of came out all right. I've never been on a plane before, and this year I finally went outside the island of Luzon and saw clouds up close for the very first time when my family and some friends went to Palawan for a four-day vacation. That was pretty cool. Maybe next time I'll choose an international flight instead, perhaps (dare I say) a 2013 trip to Japan?