Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I was expecting a Tablet PC, but...

Ever since iPhone, I've been wondering where else Apple was planning to apply its Multi-Touch technology. The obvious next step (at least for me) would have been a tablet computer, to compete with Microsoft partner's Tablet PC. No need for an easy-to-lose stylus; just use you fingers to slide and tap away.

Apparently Apple wants to keep Multi-Touch on small things, like laptop...touchpads. The new MacBook Air features a touchpad you could use to navigate OS X as you would the iPhone, using multi-touch gestures via the touchpad. MacBook Air isn't a tablet computer but a very elegant ultra-thin laptop. Just looking at it, though, the hardware just screams "I could have been a tablet!" to me: minimalistic design, very light-weight and thin, wide screen, Multi-Touch (albeit not on the screen), everything you'd want to have on a tablet computer.

I suppose Apple will have to develop a more touch-centric OS first, though, some sort of OS X for Tablet PCs. I can imagine them making it similar to the iPhone's OS: big icons and buttons, landscape and portrait modes, the ability to lock the screen, etc.

*sigh* It's easy to daydream about things like these that I can't afford...