Friday, November 16, 2007

There was something in our Solar System bigger than the Sun!

A big problem for Holmes.

I'm going to read more about it to see if this is as strange as I think it is. A comet named Holmes has a coma that's grown bigger than our solar system's sun! How the heck did that happen?!

"Elementary, my dear Watson..."

Update: No, it's not the end of the world yet. Still, very weird. I hope they find out soon why the outburst occurred. All I can say is, Astronomy is so cool, man!

Ah, 'tis these moments that we remember the wonders beyond our little planet, but never forgetting that even the Universe is small, a colorful and quaint little Gift, of which out planet is just a part.

Update: FYI, the Slashdot post from which I saw this news was quite sensationalist. Holmes wasn't, as a matter of fact, bigger than the sun. Its coma's diameter was just 70% that of the sun. Yeah, still quite huge. A few more links: