Thursday, May 31, 2007

Offline Google Reader

Recently I've been too lazy to post tech news and other stuff I find in the blogosphere, preferring to simply share them via Google Reader. Well, since this one hasn't yet appeared on my reading list, I might as well report that Google Reader has a new feature: you can now download a bunch of recent posts from the blogs you've subscribed to, allowing you to read them even when offline. The feature seems to be called Google Gears, and you need to download and install it first. Me, I'd like to lessen my time procrastinating (haha!), so I think I'll pass on this one.

Oh, and there's a couple of cool new things happening in Google Maps. Check em out.

Update: Google Gears seems to be bigger than I thought. The Official Google Blog describes it as "an open source browser extension for enabling offline web applications", so the Google Reader offline feature might just be something done using Google Gears.

Update: And another update! I just found the new Trends feature of Google Reader, I don't know if I missed it before creating this post, but anyway, it shows you various statistics about your reading list (e.g. how often each blog is updated, how much you read in each blog, etc.). Interesting.