Monday, May 21, 2007

The fun is just starting

It's been more than a week since I graduated, and everything around me is really so exciting right now. I already have job offers, so I can start working even before the month ends (but maybe I should take a break first and blog some more, yes?). A couple more exciting things:

  • The arrival of Silverlight, JavaFX, and even Adobe's Flex promises to make my future dealings with web programming even more interesting. I think I will like JavaFX better, mainly because I've had enough of Actionscript during my fourth year in college and I'm such a stubborn anti-Microsoft dweeb right now. (Of course, I'm trying not to appear hypocritical by typing this in Gmail using Firefox, which is running in Ubuntu, but we all agree that I'm just being lame, hehehe...) I'll try to study all of them, though, just because I'm that kind of guy. AJAX has shown us what could be done with the web, but I'm disappointed that you need to choose from a wide variety of frameworks just to make AJAX less of a pain-in-the-ass to use. We need something that has a consistent syntax and behavior, something that is complete and usable in itself, and something faster and less confusing than AJAX. And we might just be having that. On a related note, I've just read about SMIL and SVG. It would be much better, in my opinion, if these standards become completely supported by browsers soon and that a good Flash-like application for them would appear. Alas, we won't be so lucky for a few more years, but we will get there.
  • I just came from a really relaxing and totally enriching four-day vacation with some of my batchmates, and this morning I was greeted by many new things, including Google's new redesign that is part of their Universal Search plan. Pretty cute, but the bar containing search stats was turned to white with a little gradient, which I dislike. I miss the light-blue of the old design. (I like blue, you get the picture.) But at least this, or more importantly, Google Experimental, is a sign that Google is giving user-interface a bit more importance now. I can just imagine how all the Google services would one day be integrated in one clean, simple, and powerful interface.
Then there's the films I'm terribly excited to watch: Shrek 3 (I'll see this one tomorrow!), Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and The Simpsons Movie are just a few of them. All of this and the prospect of working in a fun, friendly, and intellectually-challenging environment suggests a very interesting start of my adult life. I will miss school and plan to return soon for more degrees, but the fun has not ceased. It is just starting.