Thursday, March 29, 2007

Deathly Hallows Cover Art

The Leaky Cauldron reports that the cover art for the UK and US editions of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has finally been released. As usual, I like the adult UK cover the most. From the looks of the UK child edition, Harry and his friends might look for Hufflepuff's Cup (I think) in some sort of treasure area. And Dobby's gonna be wielding a sword (Griffindor's?! Naaah...).

The report mentions how the UK editor of the books claimed to have literally sobbed while reading Deathly Hallows. I wonder if that's just bullshit. Ah, I apologize for the cynicism. I do hope this will be the best Harry Potter book, but really, I read the books just to understand the story and savor the intricacies of the plot...and to enjoy the adventure, of course. The emotional factor should be dealt with very carefully, especially with the utterly prosaic kind of dialogue that the modern setting inevitably requires. Rowling didn't do too well with emotional scenes in previous books ( e.g. the deaths of Sirius and Dumbledore). Not that the scenes didn't feel realistic, but some of them just weren't very interesting; they were even annoying after a few rereads. Imagining how Harry shouted all the time in Order of the Phoenix almost gave me a headache, and the almost pathetic things everyone was saying after the Dumbledore death scene makes me want to skip the whole ending of Half-Blood Prince entirely whenever I reread the book. I say, tone down on the emotional dialogue and focus on how people physically react to emotions.

Ah, but wait. I am spouting useless blabber again. Must get some sleep.