Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Google Earth Release 4...it's in beta

(Title inspired by GooglePark, hehe)

This new version of Google Earth is SLICK! Here's why:

  • It's got a simpler, more Googlified interface.
  • It's faster and a far more stable. The fact that it's still not hanging after hours of use along with a bunch of other programs is amazing. I don't have a good graphics card, and the previous Google Earth version crashed after a few minutes without any other application running.
  • It's got high-resolution images for a so many more places on Earth, including a lot of the urban places in the Philippines (there's still a cloud covering much of the business district, though). Yeah, I'm shallow, but I think it's so cool that I could actually see the bird's eye view of my house, even if I still have to slowly hunt it down.
(Read the official blog post for more details including Google Maps updates)

We wasted most of the day in the office marking the residences of my co-worker buddies. I also had fun "flying" from my house to an aunt's place in Florida, half a world away.

Can you hear that? That's the sound of air rushing past as office productivity free-falls from a point 32431.29 miles above the Google Earth. Simply breathtaking.