Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Emacs and The Little Prince

From Sacha Chua's WikiBlog:

Most editors treat everyone the same. Emacs, on the other hand, becomes uniquely yours - tamed, like the fox in The Little Prince. Let me paraphrase:

"No," said the little prince. "I am looking for friends. What does that mean--'tame'?"

"It is an act too often neglected," said Emacs. It means to establish ties."

"'To establish ties'?"

"Just that," said Emacs. "To me, you are still nothing more than a user who is just like a hundred thousand other users. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a editor like a hundred thousand other editors. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world..."


And that is why I like Emacs. It may not be the perfect editor, but it's _mine._ =)


This is the exact same reason why I like Firefox...Oh my, I just had a funny thought, but you probably know what it is. :-D