Wednesday, July 06, 2005

What I've been up to these past few hours

Hmmm...it's been a busy non-school day for me so far. First, after realizing that three of my Wikipedia edits will never be credited to me, I finally created my own Wikipedia account. Read this if you don't know what I'm talking about. And at last, I have a Bloglines account, though it's still too primitive for sharing purposes. I'll link to it after a few improvements.

I've also been hunting online for a free basic text-editor that is small, fast, and as feature packed as possible without being complex. I already have metapad, but I was also looking for regular expressions support (obviously for Find & Replace purposes), which metapad doesn't have. Turns out I already downloaded the perfect solution last year. I found Notepad2 sitting neglected in my Quick Launch toolbar; I suppose I really didn't see its advantage back then. Now I could convert various documents to the Palm Reader format much, much faster. It even has line numbers and text-highlighting, useful for source-code editing.

I also found another alernative called TED Notepad, which also allows you to use "regexps", and has UTF-8 support to boot, but I haven't figured out how to use its slightly complex text-filter architecture yet (not to mention its menu organization is quite ugly). So here's my plan: use Notepad2 for editing ebooks and source code, use TED Notepad for foreign language text (why I'd ever need this I know not), and metapad for everything else text-related.

Yeah, I can hear you Linux geeks yelling "Emacs!!!", or whatever. Maybe, but only after I've learned Emacs-lisp, or else I really can't appreciate its complexity, and it might end up hidden somewhere in my Quick Launch toolbar.