Thursday, May 05, 2005

Google Web Accelerator

A Google App that speeds up webpage downloading

It's sad that I can't use this for two one reasons: (1) I don't use IE, and (2) I only have dial-up. Maybe our school would like to install it. Darn, I'd be happy if I could only have broadband, accelerated or not. Read Nathan's thoughts on this if you want something more informative.

Oh well. Move along. Nothing else to see here...

Edit: Okay, I just discovered that Web Accelerator does support Firefox.

Update: Hmmm...this is a bit creepy. Web Accelerator apparently could allow users to view password protected pages without having to know any password, because the prefetched pages in Google's servers come from other people's cache. I'm not sure if this is real, but if it is, I hope they fix this soon.

Update: Okay, the rumor above apparently isn't as bad as it sounds:

Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of Web products, said the company is working on a fix but downplayed the threat. "It looks worse than it is," she said. "We've cached the page with that user name on it. But you are not actually signed in; you couldn't operate as that person," she said, adding it has affected only a small number of sites.
(From CNET News)